LAMB SOULVAKI WITH YOGURT-GARLIC SAUCE
Makes 4 Servings
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T chopped fresh garlic
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 pound lamb leg, cut into 12 cubes
2 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch strips
1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
16 cherry tomatoes
4 whole wheat pitas
8 wooden skewers (12 inch) soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
Yogurt-garlic sauce(recipe follows)
- In small bowl combine olive oil, garlic oregano, pepper and salt: set aside.
- Thread lamb, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes onto wooden skewers and
brush all sides with marinade. Place in large shallow pan. Cover and refrigerate
at least 3 hours, rotating skewers once.
- Grill over medium-hot coals about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until desired degree
of doneness. Rotate to cook evenly. To broil, cook 4-inches from heat source
for 6 minutes, rotating until evenly browned*.
- Grill or toast pitas with brushed olive oil, garlic and salt.
- Serve skewers and pitas with Yogurt-Garlic Sauce.
* If broiling, watch skewer tips carefully as they burn easily
Yogurt Garlic Sauce
Place two chopped cucumbers and a pinch of salt in a food processor; puree. Place in a fine-screen colander and squeeze out juice into a bowl. Reserve
juice and discard pulp. In a bowl, whisk cucumber juice with 1 T fresh lemon juice and 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt or sour cream. Mix in 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
and season with salt and pepper. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.